Wisdom teeth, also known as the third molars, come with age. Although no one desires to extract their teeth, sometimes it becomes necessary to remove some of these teeth, especially if the jaws are unable to accommodate them. We sat down with a downtown Toronto dentist to help us understand more about wisdom teeth, why it may be necessary to remove them and what may happen if they are not removed. Here are the responses -:
What are wisdom teeth?
Wisdom teeth refer to the third set of molars used for grinding and chewing food. They develop during late teens and early twenties. During the time of our ancestors, these teeth were important since they were vital for chewing hard foods that existed back them.
Why is the extraction of wisdom tooth important?
Wisdom teeth usually appear late when most people are fas past the age where natural teeth loss is experienced. They also come when the jaw is fully developed and they will force their way to find space amongst the existing teeth. This may lead to a myriad of health concerns, including-:
- Crowding – this happens when there is not enough space on the gums, so the teeth end up overlapping and getting crammed all together.
- Impaction – this is when the teeth remain below the gum line thus causing a lot of pain, discomfort, and decay amongst other oral health concerns.
- Dental drift – a drift happens when the wisdom teeth, in the process of erupting, shift the surrounding teeth leading to a change in one’s bite.
If you experience any of the symptoms above and think that the cause is your wisdom teeth, you should visit the downtown Toronto dentist – Berkeley dental, and we will recommend whether you need extraction of the tooth to bring immediate relief and avoid potential dental problems in the future.
Is the removal process of the wisdom tooth difficult and painful?
The ease or difficulty in the extraction of a wisdom tooth will depend on a number of factors such as the number of teeth to be extracted and their respective location. If they are far back in the jawline, it may present some challenges to a typical extraction process. However, with all the advancements in technology, the use of quality dental equipment and the expertise of a skilled downtown Toronto dentist will suppress all the challenges to make the process fast, easy and almost pain-free.
What happens when the wisdom teeth recommended for removal are not removed?
If you decline to remove a wisdom tooth recommended for removal, the following may happen-:
- Pain – this is the most common complaint about wisdom teeth and it will not just be the tooth alone in pain. Pain can expand and reach the ears, nose, jaw, and throat.
- Infections – the bacteria propagating around the site of wisdom teeth may cause systematic infections and these may lead to further complications down the line.
- Teeth shifting – Wisdom teeth will exert pressure on the gums in an attempt to force their way through to the surface. When that happens, the surrounding teeth may be forced to shift.